I practiced on a few old discs and after I was fairly sure I could pull off the look I would be going for I gave it a try.
The basic concept here is you mix the dye in with standard shaving cream and then create patterns for certain effects. This process take a few hours to work instead of the few minutes with heat dyes.
The Big Lebowski was going to be the design. I started off with the black outline dye.
Then I created the outer pattern to go round the art. I was trying to create a flame pattern.
I then peeled off the outer edge mask. The dyes on the sunglasses was left on the disc. It was thich enough to stick and not move.
I left the disc to sit in the dye for about 4 hours....
... and this is what I ended up with.
The colors are a lot brighter than is the pic. To finish the disc I added a brown to color the hair highlights. It turned out really well for a beginner's attempt.